!( - )

!( - )

June 4, 2014

No-Bake Coconut Whipped Cream Pie with Strawberries (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Grain-free, Sugar-free)

I am soo excited to share this pie with you guys, which I pulled from a couple of different recipes to come up with. Based on the title of this post, you're probably wondering what on earth could possibly be left to put in this pie to make it taste good. Coconut of course! ;)

Last week I shared my super easy recipe for Coconut Whipped Cream, which held so much potential that I had to come up with another use for it. As promised, here it is!




Coconut Whipped Cream Pie

You'll need:
For the crust (originally from here, tweaked slightly):
1 cup banana chips (recipe below)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3 Tsp. coconut sugar (like this)
2 Tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
pinch of salt

For the filling:
Coconut Whipped Cream (Note that you don't have to stick exactly to the ingredients in that recipe--there is a lot of freedom with it. But keep in mind that the flavor will decrease slightly once it's refrigerated, which is why it may seem like I use a lot of the sugar, etc.)

Optional:
Sliced strawberries

1) First we are going to make banana chips for the crust. You could buy these. But why do that when you can make them at home for a lot cheaper and know they're free of any questionable ingredients? Right? Slice up two ripe or very ripe bananas into app. 1/4-1/2"-thick slices (if you do them too thin, they won't come off the pan) and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and greased. (I use olive oil spray.) Bake at 200 degrees for 40 minutes.



2) Then flip the banana chips over and heat for another 40 minutes.


3) Place the banana chips, coconut flakes, sugar, vanilla, melted oil, and salt in a blender and blend well. You'll have to move the mixture around with a spoon every so many seconds to make sure it all gets blended.

 

4) Then press the mixture into a pie plate. As you can see, I never make very much because I'm the only one who eats this (and I usually can't sacrifice that many bananas!), so to make a whole pan, just double the ingredients.


 

5) Pour the whipped cream mixture into the pan. As you can see, and as I mentioned last week, it turned out really lumpy and I don't know why but assume it's because I made it on a very hot day. It's never done this before and still tasted great.

 

And even though I only make enough crust for half a pie, I always make enough filling for a whole one because I end up eating it too, with strawberries on top. Go figure. ;)



 

6) Finally, refrigerate for several hours. The longer the better, but at least 3. The filling will harden and become reminiscent of cheesecake.




 


Now, I've made this several times and just recently discovered: it needs strawberries. Oh my gosh.





It's certainly good without the strawberries, but they're just the extra touch that makes it perfect. Like, I love this stuff. And I also discovered that this seems to get better the longer it's in the fridge--it was even better on days 3 and 4.


And now I really, really want some... And it's all gone by now, of course. I think more will be in my future. ;)

This recipe was featured! :D

Do Tell Tuesday on Diane's Vintage Zest!









P.S. Linking up with Delicious Dish Tuesday, Real Food Recipe Roundup here and here, Time to Sparkle, Show Me What Ya Got, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Share It Link Party, Do Tell Tuesday, Creative Exchange Link Party, Be.You.Tiful Link Party, Thursday Favorite Things

10 comments:

  1. This looks delectable. I love coconut & banana. Thanks for this vegan recipe. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much, Carmen! So glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks SO good! My dad would go nuts for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut cream pie and this one looks incredible Kacie! Love that you used coconut whipped cream - I can imagine how wonderful this tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it pretty amazing, and I hope you do too! Thanks so much for stopping by, Kelly! =)

      Delete
  4. Looks super delish, and I have so many strawberries right now! Also, congrats because you are featured on this week's Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/06/do-tell-tuesday-27-with-features.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks absolutely delicious!!! Thanks for linking up to The Creative Exchange linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love it. :) Thanks so much for stopping by, Summer! :)

      Delete
  6. Well, the filling never did get fluffy. And it took a good 2 hours for the milk to separate. But the flavor of the filling was very good, but was more like a thin pudding. But i really like pudding, so no complaints. The crust was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much for trying this out and letting me know how it went! I'm sorry to hear the milk took so long--it's so unpredictable and I'm starting to think must depend on the climate or weather. I am so glad you liked how it turned out though! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Comments make me happy, and I strive to reply to every one. I almost always reply by email so I can be sure you see my reply, so please make sure you're not a no-reply blogger!