!( - )

!( - )

July 16, 2014

Wellness Wednesday: Breadless French Toast Sticks

I have been so eager to share this recipe with you guys! I happened to find the original recipe at The Scent of Oranges through a link up about a month ago. And I think I've made it five times since then... :O Needless to say, I've found yet another healthy recipe I can't live without. And it was invaluable to have ready to microwave and eat on our trip this weekend. Even my husband agrees, this stuff is awesome!


Now, as always, I've made some changes to the recipe. I will tell you that the original is called German Pancakes, but once I made my changes, it felt like French Toast fit it better in my case. Thus the new name. ;)

And as if they're not awesome enough, they are so easy. The hardest part is cracking open 6 eggs without making a mess everywhere--and having 6 eggs in your fridge!

Breadless French Toast Sticks

You'll need:
6 eggs
1 cup gluten-free flour (I have used different versions [more on that below] but prefer this)
1 cup coconut milk (the cold, carton kind)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. olive oil to grease the pan

1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix the eggs, flour, milk, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. (It will be runny.)
3) Drizzle the oil in a 9x13 baking dish, place the pan in the oven for about 30 seconds to let the oil heat up, then remove the pan and move it around to let the oil coat it.
4) Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes. (The original says 20, and I've done it up to 40 before, so I think it greatly depends on your flour.)

As I mentioned, I've used different brands and kinds of flour for this. I almost always use Bloomfield Farms, but for these photos I was out of it and used Bob's Red Mill and could not believe the difference in looks. The edges shot up the sides of the pan!





 And here is how it looks made with Bloomfield Farms flour. 





Much prettier. :) But it still tastes good either way. And to add to the craziness, both of these look completely different than in the original recipe! So feel free to use whatever flour you prefer!

I like to dip these in real maple syrup and have them with Easy Fried Broccoli (yep, kinda weird I guess) and turkey lunchmeat fried up in olive oil until it's crunchy. Pretty stinkin' tasty! :)




5 comments:

  1. My favorite breakfast food is french toast and I'd be so bummed if I couldn't have it due to gluten allergies. I love this fantastic alternative! I'll have to share it with my friends who need gluten free (and keep it on hand for myself to try too)! Thank you for linking up with Delicious Dish Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These look yummy! And gluten free to boot.... Terrific.... :)
    xo, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely amazing!

    -Ash
    www.thenashvillianblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are--I highly recommend them!! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Comments make me happy, and I strive to reply to every one. I almost always reply by email so I can be sure you see my reply, so please make sure you're not a no-reply blogger!